Things to consider before starting a house renovation
Whether you’re thinking about refreshing an individual space, adding an extension or remodelling your entire home, a successful renovation project starts with smart planning.
Not sure where to get started? This article is for you. As Auckland’s leading house renovation team, we’ve rounded up a few key points to keep in mind when planning your renovation project.
Why do you want to renovate?
A good renovation plan should always start with your why – that is, why do you want to renovate? Defining your motivation and knowing what you want to achieve with your renovation will inform many of your design choices further down the track.
Some of the most common reasons people choose to renovate include:
- Space: As family dynamics change, a once-spacious home can start to feel a little cramped. Removing partitions, transforming underutilised spaces into functional rooms and extending the house are all great ways to increase your living space.
- Comfort: Whether it’s a second bathroom, deck expansion or a kitchen remodel, house renovations can dramatically improve the way your home looks, feels and functions.
- Accessibility: For older adults and people with physical impairments, renovations can be a great opportunity to create a home that is suited to your physical needs – both now and in the future.
- Safety: In some scenarios, renovations may be required to keep your family safe and/or prevent property damage (e.g. electrical problems, roof leaks, etc.).
- Property value: Thinking about selling your home in the next few years? Certain renovation projects can dramatically boost the resale value of your property. Talk to our team to find out how we can help you manage renovation costs and maximise ROI.
How much will the renovation cost?
Budget is one of the most important factors to consider when planning your renovation. The cost of the project will largely be influenced by the scale and complexity of the renovations, so you’ll need to consider the scope of the project before making any further plans.
There are a few different ways to approach it:
Renovate the whole house
If you’re thinking about renovating multiple rooms (or the entire house, for that matter) we generally recommend doing the whole project at once.
Not only are large-scale projects more cost-efficient (doing the project in one fell swoop eliminates the need for multiple setups, call-outs, cleanups, etc.), but they also allow you to plan more broadly and ensure each renovated space fits in seamlessly with the wider aesthetic of the home.
While renovating the whole house is more disruptive in the short term, doing it all at once means you can get back to normal life quickly without worrying about more projects looming on the horizon.
Renovate in stages
Rome wasn’t built in a day – and your home doesn’t have to be, either.
If it looks like your budget is going to be stretched a little thin, think about renovating in stages, starting with the rooms you use the most. A piecemeal approach allows you to gradually create your dream home without putting undue stress on your finances.
While partial renovations are more affordable and tend to be less disruptive for the family, remodelling a different room every few months can make your home start to feel like a never-ending project.
Renovate similar rooms
You can reach a great middle ground by renovating similar spaces together as the budget permits. For example, doing all your bathrooms at once can be a savvy way to reduce the labour costs associated with electrical and plumbing work.
Develop a plan of attack
Failing to plan is planning to fail when it comes to home renovations. While it may be possible to plan a small project on your own, for best results it’s always a good idea to enlist the services of a professional renovations team.
That’s where we come in. As Auckland’s leading renovation specialists, we have the expertise to handle all aspects of the renovation process, including design, construction, painting and landscaping. We’ll work with you to understand your requirements and help you plan and create a stunning space that reflects the needs of your household.
We stand behind the quality of our work and are proud to offer a Master Build 10-year Guarantee, so you can rest easy knowing your investment will be protected for years to come.
Contact the house renovation experts
If you’re planning a home renovation in Auckland, you’ve come to the right place. Whether you’re interested in a modest remodelling project or a complex house extension, we have the experience and specialist expertise to help you bring your vision to life.
For a free consultation, give us a call today on 0800 30 30 11 or fill out our online enquiry form and a member of the team will be in touch with you shortly.